This post has nothing to do with the church. Just a story of my life, straight out of Bridget Jones.
This morning I was actually told that my eggs are drying up. As if I didn't know that already. I was working the flight to Amsterdam and I end up working with a straight man who asks me my birthday (so he knows my horoscope), where I'm from (he smiled like he knew all about me), and how old I was. He said he likes to know these things and then he can get a good idea about someone. Or get the wrong idea, I told him.
Later into the flight he starts asking me questions, attempting to be some sort of flight attendant psychologist or life coach. Do I want children? He then tells me that I better hurry up and do it. Even if it has to be out of wedlock. Cause my eggs are drying up and life goes real fast and I'm running out of time.
Are there 30 year old women who do NOT know this? Are there people who think I am just avoiding true love and the corresponding wedded bliss out of some sort of unawareness that I am not 19? That it is easy for women to find someone who you actually want to be with? I guess I should give him credit for at least thinking I have hope, but damn. Then he started telling me that men outside the travel industry don't understand and don't want a flight attendant. He said to stay away from foreign men, that they were not good for American women. He told me I also had an additional disadvantage because of my height. WTF? I am actually quite aware of the difficulties I have in dating, which I told him, but he didn't seem to understand he was being a complete ass.
You may be wondering why I listened to this for so long, but I think I was more shocked than anything. After I gave him a few scowls and told him he didn't really know me, I moved to another part of the airplane and enjoyed my New York Times. Till I started talking to another flight attendant. It started off well-bonding over Barack Obama, and conversing about our educational backgrounds, but then all of a sudden he is telling me to get a second job and specifically what one to get. You'll never make enough money in this industry, he says, when I mentioned my school loans. Don't you think I know that? Am I not aware of that each time I eat cereal 3 times a day?
I guess I was just shocked by the idiocy of some people and the complete lack of perception and sensitivity. I always thought the scene in Bridget Jones, where they are asking her why there are so many single girls in their thirties, and telling her she'd better get sprugged up, was just an exaggeration. But apparently it is not. It is my life. Now I just need to find my Colin Firth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
So many people think they have ALL the answers because they are little bit older and have "seen more of the world". I get the same thing from my boss at work and others. I just try to take it with a grain of salt and try not to be that way with those in my life younger than me.
As for the eggs situation, although biologically there is an element of a time frame, look at SO many people having children so much later in life, try not to stress about it too much. It'll happen.
um, you're really 31, not 30.
ok, ok, I was being funny folks! Hold the tomatoes and stones please!!!
Yes, there is an element of Bridget in all of us single gals, but really, do we really want to go out and become single moms? Can you imagine how hard that is. No thanks.
There is no answer for those assholes, but humans are insensitive lot and you recognize this, and while it bothers you, I know you well enough to know that YOU know how amazing you are. That YOU know what should govern your life and relationships..and YOU won't settle for anything less than you deserve....
which is Colin Firth.
(ok, my word verification is "cat" I do not think that blogger was trying to be all "old lonely spinster woman with cats" on ya, but the worlds an ironic place)
Michelle,
That sucks. What a lame flight with those idiots.
But, the idiots remind me of myself sometimes. It takes an extra brain step to think beyond the person's life, into what they've already thought of and their own challenges.
However, the fact that they were men telling you, as a woman, makes it really horrible to me.
Women don't boss around men like that.
Just another example of misogyny.
Sigh.
What a jerk. Sorry. Sounds like he was off in his fantasy world.
I completely agree! Sometimes people just *love* to hear themselves talk. What an idiot. I usually try to have some sort of book or something to distract me to politely tell someone I'm no longer interested in speaking with them. What's going on with my eggs is my own d*mn business thank you very much!
Sorry - guess that hit a nerve for me! Best of luck to you.
Thanks everyone, for backing me up. :) I think he got it by the end of the trip when I didn't really talk to him again.
oh flygirl! I love you!
if it makes any difference, it doesn't stop even when you get married and have children, those types still got to tell you all about what you gotta do.
/sigh.
you did the right thing. :)
Post a Comment