Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chill

So I was all worried about the family vacation. The first day or so took some getting used to, and I found myself thinking, "What will we talk about?!? We're not having any deep conversations!" With my friends and cousins, I'm so accustomed to talking about EVERYTHING, and with my family, there just isn't that dynamic. It seemed to me a different life altogether, or maybe I was visiting a different country.

But then, after a day or two, (and a few phone calls to those people I really can talk to), I realized I had to accept the situation for what it was, and my family for who they are. They are really great people. I tried to stop wondering if they were secretly judging me for drinking coffee (my dad did whisper to someone that it smelled bad), or wearing tank tops (pretty sure they were jealous, they just wore their swim suits a lot instead). They didn't act at all judgemental, so why should I imagine they were? It was as if the conversation with my brother never happened. Which is okay. I didn't feel like I had to pretend, and no one made a big deal out of anything. We had a lot of fun, and honestly it was really nice and relaxing not having drama and discussing every detail of everything under the sun. I also really loved hanging out with my 14 month old nephew. I am not always into kids, but I love that little boy.

So a lot of worry over nothing, but I am feeling good about things.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good. Refreshing. I'm glad it went well. Truthfully, I felt it would go the way you thought it would. I'm glad that we were both wrong. I'm sure they just love you, not the you they want you to be.


And that little baby is adorable.

galen dara said...

I'm so glad for you. :)

Alisa said...

Good! Maybe things are beginning to be normal again. :) You can breathe.