Tuesday, June 24, 2008

everything's expanding

I have been so happy lately, in a way that has amazed me. Life is exciting to me again, and I feel free-to think, act, and love the way that I feel is right. It's like once I decided I was done with church, everything has just simplified, as I don't have to worry about what the church or members of it think of me (for the most part). I can focus on actually being kind to others, and myself.
For most of my adult life, I've been pretty cynical when it came to romantic love and marriage, probably because it had been pushed down my throat in various arenas, and even though I thought I was a "typical Mormon," whatever that is, I really have always felt quite uncomfortable fitting into certain expectations that I just don't believe in. So now that those things have all lifted, it's strange, I don't feel a sense of hopelessness in my future. I trust myself. I feel like if my life stays the same as it is now, I will be very happy. But I also can truly see the possibility of finding love or marriage in my life, which I have never believed was possible.
I have felt so amazingly lucky to have friends and family members in my life who understand what I have been going through, and also understand the new and exciting parts of my life. I have been enjoying so much, and without all the worry I have had in the past few years. I have an amazing job that allows me to meet great people, see the world, and just have a good time, while also being a kind of community I haven't felt in Mormonism for years. And one that I fit in a lot better. It's funny, when I was trying to decide whether to stay or go, I read and heard all kinds of warnings, of how "you'll never be happy if you leave" and "this is where you belong," and it kind of scared me like maybe they knew what they were talking about. But, truth is, I had to listen to myself, and I really felt like I would be okay, and hey, looks like listening to myself wasn't such a bad idea after all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are wonderful! Your life is grand! So many things await us that we are just discovering, and this new mindset is just the beginning!

I can't wait to see what time brings your way....

Jessica Steed said...

Michelle,
Even though we just talked, it was awesome to read your post.
You sound so happy, and I am really glad for you.
I know that things will go well in your life.
I actually wish you could send this (or parts of it) to your parents so they could know how happy you really are. (maybe i'm crazy, though)
And, I love that you're documenting the changes in your life, that is important, too.

Anonymous said...

hey lady, welcome to life!!! It is very hard to take flight on your own uncharted territory. The idea of the unknown can be scary but very exciting as well. I think the freedom that comes with just being you regardless of which religion you are is amazing. Once you let go of caring what other people think it is very liberating you just become you!!! its so simple why doesn't everyone know about this. I love you and can't wait to see you again

flygirl said...

Thanks for stopping by April! I have really appreciated your friendship in this new and crazy life I am in!

Unknown said...

April may NEVER read our blogs again. But I will tell her what you said.

She doesn't like the internet, but I am trying to get her to realize the world it opens....