So I told my dad tonight on the phone tonight, and my mom a couple days ago about my feelings and activity in the church. I didn't go into details of all of Joseph Smith/Brigham Young's transgressions, or why I think the church is...whatever it is. I think that would have been too much and they wouldn't have really been able to process it. I explained that I had doctrinal concerns, didn't go to church or believe anymore. And I also told them that I appreciate and love them. They both reacted pretty good I think, as well as can be expected. Neither of them preached to me or told me I was going to hell. My mom said she had noticed something was different, so she didn't seem that surprised, and didn't break down or anything. My dad was more emotional about it, I made him cry. I feel really bad about the way that they are feeling right now, even though I know it's not my fault, exactly. I think one of the most difficult things is that I am not a part of (and now they know this) the most important thing in the world to them. My dad listed his family and the church as the most important things to them, so at least he didn't place church above it. It just no longer goes all neatly together like it did before. They both expressed their love for me and that they wanted us to still be close, and I said I wanted that as well.
So I think it went well, much better than many people's stories I have heard of, though it was still incredibly hard. Now I just have to get used to the new situation with my family a bit, and hopefully they won't be that depressed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you are very brave... braver than I have been.
I'm glad that they took it so well.
Well, it's taken me quite awhile to get here, and everyone's timing is different. It feels good though, to be more out in the open.
Post a Comment